Senior Software Engineer
Code for America builds technology to help government services work for the people who need them most.
Code for America’s Software Engineers are involved in all stages of our products’ lifecycle: product prototyping, developing features in response to user feedback, and operating technical systems at scale. We practice agile, iterative development, working closely with product managers, designers, researchers and users. In this position you’ll work on:
- GetCalFresh: improve how government delivers food assistance to families in need.
- Integrated Benefits: simplify how Americans access safety net services.
- ClientComm: keep people out of jail by connecting them with case managers via text.
- Clear My Record: give people a second chance to get jobs and housing by clearing past convictions.
- Code for America Network: connect a national alliance of community organizers, developers, and designers.
You’ll generally work on a product teams for 6-9 months, receiving product and technical mentorship, then have the opportunity to rotate. We work with well-known and reliable technologies like Ruby on Rails, PostgreSQL, and AWS. We’re a collaborative team with a sharp focus on user needs and driven by making a meaningful difference in the lives of the people we serve. The ideal teammate is an engineer who focuses on user impact and reliable technology and will help us scale both technology and the team.
- Craft new features that help users more easily navigate government services and receive a dignified experience.
- Write automated tests and develop monitoring strategies to ensure a high level of service quality.
- Implement minimal features to maximize learning, and then harden features to scale when we know they work.
- Pair with your teammates to design and deliver clean, reliable, and maintainable solutions to user problems. We like keeping communication high and the cost of change low.
- Interact with and help users yourself to better understand their experiences.
- Interested in the mission of making government services better for people who need them most.
- Successfully building web applications professionally for 4+ years.
- Experience with Ruby on Rails, or an equivalent web application framework like Django, Symphony, Laravel, Sails.js, or Meteor.
- Understanding of computer science and web fundamentals, from data structures to APIs.
- Eager in collaborating with others, receiving mentorship, and teaching others.
- Willing to participate in all aspects of software development. You plan, code, test, deploy, monitor, and fix bugs.
- Can write understandable, testable, and maintainable code.
- Possess excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- You are familiar with and comfortable working in an Agile XP and TDD environment. (We don’t pair all the time, but we find it really helpful in lots of contexts!)
- You have personal experience with the justice system, social safety net, workforce training, or other mission-relevant government services.
- You hold a Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or an equivalent field.
Code for America offers full health and dental benefits, a 401k plan with matching funds and a culture that is collaborative, hardworking and fun.
About Code for America
Code for America is a startup non-profit with a great culture and a huge opportunity to make a difference. We work in cross-functional teams, collaboratively and agilely and value high-quality, user-friendly work product. We strive to learn from everything we do and regularly host talks from leaders in the civic technology movement. We respect each other, work hard, and have a great time together. We’re looking for individuals who share our vision, our values, and our willingness to do what it takes to achieve an ambitious mission over the next few years.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Code for America values a diverse workplace and strongly encourages women, people of color, LGBT individuals, people with disabilities, members of ethnic minorities, foreign-born residents, and veterans to apply. Code for America is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will not be discriminated against because of race, color, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, religion, national origin, citizenship status, disability, ancestry, marital status, veteran status, medical condition or any protected category prohibited by local, state or federal laws.
Get weekly notifications when new jobs are posted