LiveStories is a venture-backed company building modern tools to make civic data actionable and usable. Governments—the world’s largest sector—depend on LiveStories to be more data-driven, transparent, and productive. Businesses, universities, schools, and researchers depend on LiveStories to streamline their data operations.
We love data and believe in its power to transform how we live, work, and play. We obsess over simplifying access to data, so that anyone can gather insights. We look for people who can demonstrate versatility and creativity in working with data.
If you obsess over changing the world, and are passionate about open public/civic data, cool data visualizations, data-driven businesses, we would love to talk to you.
Data is core to LiveStories mission. Our customers around the US and around the world sit on a large volume of data. They look to LiveStories to turn that data into actionable insights and stories.
The LiveStories Insights team develops game changing analytics and algorithms that take advantage of one of the largest data libraries available. You’ll be building and prototyping algorithms and applications on top over 10B observations. Applications will span multiple verticals and use cases.
You thrive on Your team will be very small and team members frequently wear multiple hats. Your role will range from research experimentalist to technology innovator to consultative customer facilitator. You must be comfortable partnering with those directly involved with data infrastructure, software, and data warehousing, as well as product management.
The ideal candidate thrives on ambiguity and will enjoy the frequent pivoting that’s part of the exploration. You have demonstrated consultative mindset when engaging with customers and partners and will be a magnet for your peers to join the team.
When successful in this role you will be recognized as a world-class data science leader. You will both identify best practices that LiveStories should adopt, and develop best practices that will be adopted by the entire public sector. Are you up for an exciting, high-impact challenge?
Define and prioritize data science opportunities for the company
Hire, mentor, and manage exceptional data scientists, data analysts, statisticians, and economists
Partner with engineering team to identify and improve infrastructure opportunities to increase data science productivity
Serve as a domain expert in many areas of data science and machine learning
Act as an internal advisor on all issues related to data
Serve as chief consultant to customers looking for data expertise
Contribute to the overall company strategy, especially as it pertains to data
Make individual technical contributions where possible
Serve as the company's public data ambassador to the public sector
Conduct data analysis and build large-scale machine-learning models/pipelines
Work side-by-side with engineering team on detailed requirements, technical designs, and implementation of end-to-end solutions from prototype to production
Provide technical leadership and drive LiveStories’s scientific innovation (publish papers, patents, etc.)
Build scalable, efficient, automated processes for large-scale data analysis and machine-learning models (including development, validation, and serving)
Implement quality control processes to ensure data is 100% accurate
Mentor and lead other data scientists and/or engineers
Set self-initiated R&D objectives and exercise discretionary judgment when exploring advances in artificial intelligence and statistics and applying innovative machine learning techniques to power new business opportunities
Collaborate with infrastructure team in building more automated streamlined systems and in setting up the necessary data governance for agile and responsive data processing
Act as an advisor to the Chief Data Officer and senior leadership in the company
- PhD or M.S. in Computer Science, Information Retrieval, Machine Learning, or a related discipline
- At least 2 years’ experience in applying Machine Learning techniques to solve business problems
- At least 3 years’ experience with major programming languages such as in Java, Python, Scala
- At least 2 years' of experience with most of the following Big Data technologies: AWS EMR or Hadoop, Spark, and Lucene/SOLR
- Experience in statistical modeling tools, deep learning techniques, and/or leading cross-org projects is a plus
- Experience in managing a team of data analysts, project managers, etc.
- Experience leading data efforts in public entities
- You have a habit of bias-to-action.
Our benefits include:
- Competitive performance-based compensation
- Health, dental, vision, and life insurance
- 401K Plan
- An incredible team of smart, dedicated, and supportive people
- Unlimited vacation policy
- Company-wide team activities (such as sailing, happy hours etc.)
- One Friday off every month
- Annual Personal Travel Bonus
- Monthly lunches with the CEO
Get weekly notifications when new jobs are posted