Farmdrop is the ethical online supermarket, delivering the freshest groceries from a network of sustainable food producers, and on fair terms. We’re using technology to build a simpler and fairer food system, where customers get tastier food and producers receive a fairer share of the profits. Our driving mission is to fix the food chain by becoming the greenest and healthiest grocery service in the UK.
Not only are we passionate about our product and our producers, but we are passionate about our people, and that means we take pride in our diverse workforce. We believe diversity helps attract top talent and encourages innovation. If people can be themselves at work it makes for a productive and happy working environment.
Our Engineering Team
Being on a journey from a monolithic architecture to a microservices event based future, we use small teams, pairing and a focus on TDD and BDD to ensure quality software.
Above all, we believe in collaborative, agile and lean ways of working and that one size definitely does not fit all. We pride ourselves in continually sharing knowledge across the team and to the entire company.
As a member of a small, fast-moving company, you will be empowered to use your creativity to have impact, getting involved at all levels of the product life cycle. We're constantly evolving our product, building key features and setting the direction that will affect the business for years to come. You would be a central part of moving our software stack forward at every level, working in and nurture a team of capable and friendly developers who love building great software.
We are looking for a Software Engineer who has experience across a number of technologies and has worked with teams at various evolutionary states.
As a team player who works collaboratively to achieve shared goals, you are unafraid to challenge aspects outside your direct remit and passionately champion ‘the right thing’. You are great at software engineering, but don’t over-engineer or build for a re-use that never happens.
You will work closely with our Product Managers so debating delivery priorities needs to come easily.
Most of all, you understand that real change happens by continual improvement of our practices and principles.
Other things we value:
- A thirst for knowledge and mastery, continuously improving your skills and keeping abreast of the latest technologies and techniques.
- A great understanding of Kanban, Scrum, XP, Lean and other methods.
- Extensive knowledge and experience of software engineering practices such as Continuous Delivery, TDD, DDD, Pair Programming, instrumentation and telemetry.
- Knowledge of DDD.
- Experience of Android, iOS, web and server-side development.
- Contributions to open source projects.
- A willingness to experiment with, and drive the adoption of new technology and approaches that might help us.
- A willingness to take responsibility (currently everyone deploys to production, everyone fixes urgent bugs).
- An ability to manage, lead, teach, and learn from others and to work collaboratively.
- An ability to provide coaching and mentoring where required.
- An ability to work with non-technical staff to understand and refine complex requirements.
- Good verbal and written communication skills.
- Generous discount on all your Farmdrop shopping
- Loads of free food
- Delicious cooked lunch every day
- Training and personal development monthly allowance
- Enhanced paternity/maternity leave
- Unpaid and sabbatical leave options
- Flexible working hours
- Working from home
- Paid days off for volunteering/charity work
- Cycle to work scheme
- Regular socials (teams organise their own social get-togethers, there is no pressure to join these. Some events include board game nights, book clubs, Women of Farmdrop community)
- Weekly company knowledge sharing sessions
Get weekly notifications when new jobs are posted