Motiv is looking for an Embedded Software Engineer to join the engineering team as a key contributor. As part of a small team, you will design and write firmware for multiple modules that make up the powertrain of an electric drive vehicle. Responsibilities include software design, coding, testing, and debugging. Candidates should enjoy getting their hands dirty and debugging in hardware with digital probes, oscilloscopes, etc.
As a small company, we are dependent on our team members’ leadership, enthusiasm, creative problem solving, and self-motivation across a wide range of both technical and non-technical disciplines. These attributes are as important as the knowledge and skill set required for the work performed.
- Design, develop, implement, and maintain embedded powertrain control software in C
- Independently perform board bring-up and code debug, including utilization of associated tools such as oscilloscopes, logic and protocol analyzers, JTAG and trace pods
- Fulfill all specified and derived requirements, including: safety, timing, and signal processing requirements of control algorithms for chassis systems, power converters, and motor controllers
- Document your designs, tests, and test results
- Automate tests as required
- Participate in peer design and code reviews
- Participate in continuous improvement of software quality
- Follow Motiv company policies and procedures
Required Experience and Skills
- BS in Computer Engineering, Software Engineering, or Electrical Engineering with Software Emphasis
- Minimum 5 years industry experience developing real-time software for embedded systems required
- Strong proficiency in C; ability to understand compiler output (assembly).
- Experience with RTOS and bare-metal systems
- Strong understanding of software engineering principles, including SW Quality Assurance and full SDLC
- Minimum of 3 years’ hands-on experience at the software-hardware interface
- Basic understanding of control theory
- Strong analytical and communications skills
- Familiarity with Python and Bash
- MS in Computer Engineering, Software Engineering, or Electrical Engineering with Software Emphasis
- Experience implementing control algorithms
- Experience developing safety-critical systems
- Experience with development in automotive environment, i.e. network protocols, etc.
Benefits & Perks
- Competitive benefits package including Medical (including 24/7 online access to a physician), HSA, Vision, Dental & 401k
- We offer a generous PTO policy, Group Universal Life, Voluntary Personal Accident and Voluntary Disability Insurance
- 10 Paid Holidays
- Educational Assistance Employee Program
- Healthy Work / Life Balance
- Fresh daily snacks & catered lunch every Friday to all Foster City employees
- Perks at Work - Discounted learning, tickets, electronics, travel, health, restaurants & retail
- Free Online Training & Development
- We are bicycle-friendly, with bicycle storage available to all Foster City employees with a 5 minute walk to the scenic Bay Front
Founded in 2009, and headquartered in the San Francisco Bay Area, Motiv Power Systems, a leading provider of software and technology to electrify medium duty commercial vehicles, is committed to freeing fleets from their dependence on fossil fuels. Motiv’s EPIC (Electric Powered Intelligent Chassis) are CARB certified, GSA approved, and available for many configurations including step vans, box trucks, work trucks, shuttle buses, school buses, trolleys, and other specialty vehicles. An EPIC offers uncompromised performance and functionality without the pollution, noise, heat, and vibration of gasoline or diesel power.
Motiv is the only Ford eQVM-approved provider of all-electric chassis for commercial trucks and buses and benefits from engineering insights and support from Ford to ensure safety and reliability. With more than 500,000 miles logged among several of the largest fleet operators in the United States, the EPIC family eliminates 100% of vehicle emissions, dramatically reduces operating and maintenance costs, and creates a healthier environment for riders and communities, while also reducing driver fatigue.
Get weekly notifications when new jobs are posted